Felony Lawyer Denver Colorado
If you were recently charged with a felony, you may feel nervous and scared. It’s normal to feel this way, as a felony can carry some hefty penalties. That’s why it’s important to discuss your case with a felony lawyer in Denver Colorado like Richard J. Banta, P.C. promptly. A lawyer can evaluate your case and advise you of your legal options.
What Are the Consequences of a Felony Conviction?
Some people who are convicted of a felony assume that if they can avoid jail time, everything will be fine. However, as a felony lawyer in Denver Colorado can confirm, a felony conviction carries many consequences beyond jail time, including:
- Difficulty Obtaining Employment: These days, many employers conduct background checks on job candidates. If you have a felony on your record, you may have a harder time finding a job than someone with a clean record. Employers may be weary about hiring someone with a criminal record, especially if the job involves handling money or taking care of vulnerable people, like senior citizens.
- Trouble Finding an Apartment: A felony lawyer in Denver Colorado has also seen people with felony records have difficulty finding a place to live. Like employers, many landlords conduct background checks on prospective tenants. They want to protect their property and the people who live in it. It can be especially difficult to rent an apartment if you were convicted of a violent felony. You may have to move in with a family member.
- Inability to Own a Firearm: If you’re convicted of a violent felony, you will be banned from ever owning a firearm. This can be especially troublesome if you live in a dangerous neighborhood.
- Loss of Professional Licenses: If you have a professional license, like a nurse, architect or lawyer, you’re in danger of having it revoked if you get convicted of a felony.
- Bad Reputation: Getting convicted of a felony can also tarnish your reputation. Your family and friends might think differently of you and may even lose trust in you. You may have trouble maintaining relationships with them, making you feel lonely.
How Can You Avoid a Felony Conviction?
If you’re facing a felony charge, you should consult an experienced felony lawyer in Denver Colorado as soon as possible. He or she will review your case and advise you the best way to proceed. For example, if you were charged with a non-violent felony and don’t have a previous criminal record, your lawyer may try to get your charge reduced to a misdemeanor.
During your initial consultation with your criminal lawyer Denver CO residents trust, provide as many details as you can about your charge. The more information your lawyer has, the better he or she can help you.
If you were charged with a felony, you should schedule a consultation with a felony lawyer in Denver Colorado today.