Have you been injured as a pedestrian? Did the party who injured you leave the scene? If so, you should consult a hit and run accident lawyer Denver, CO trusts to find out how you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries.
For a consultation with a hit and run accident lawyer Denver, CO has to offer, please call the Law Office of Richard J. Banta for a free case review.
According to national statistics, more than 5,000 pedestrians are killed each year in the U.S. The majority of those deaths are vehicle-related but there are also many non-vehicular pedestrian accidents that occur, as well. These include accidents because of parking lot or sidewalk defects, debris on walkways, and poor maintenance of walkways.
If a pedestrian is injured, they may be able to recover damages for the injuries they sustained if they can prove that the incident happened because of another party’s negligence.
A pedestrian accident lawyer Denver, CO residents have on their side can assist you in obtaining the financial compensation you deserve.
If the pedestrian was injured by a vehicle, their attorney will need to show the following elements existed in your accident:
- The at-fault driver owed a legal duty to the victim
- The at-fault driver failed to fulfill that duty through their action
- That failure resulted in accident that caused the victim’s injury
- The victim suffered financial losses as a result of the injury
In the event of a hit and run, a hit and run accident lawyer Denver, CO provides will need to investigate whether or not it’s possible to locate the driver who fled the scene. If this is not possible, a claim against your own insurance may be sought. Your hit and run accident lawyer Denver, Colorado community members respect can help you to understand what you can expect during your consultation.
If a pedestrian is injured on someone’s property, then the incident falls under a premises liability case, where the victim’s losses were the result of the property owner’s negligence. In these type of injury cases, the attorney will need to show:
- The property owner created the condition (either intentionally or unintentionally)
- The property owner knew the condition existed, but failed to take the steps to correct it
- The dangerous condition was present long enough that the property owner had sufficient time to remove the hazard
The injuries sustained in vehicle pedestrian accidents are usually much more severe than injuries sustained in premises liability cases. This is why it is critical for both drivers and pedestrians to take the necessary steps to do all they can to avoid a pedestrian accident. Each party has certain responsibilities they should adhere to:
- Never use your phone while driving
- Make sure to use turn signals every time you are switching lanes or making turns
- Obey all posted speed limits
- Check your rearview and side mirrors every time you are backing out of a parking space or driveway
- Never drive while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Never leave the scene if you do hit a pedestrian
- Do not look at your phone when walking
- Make sure to look each way before crossing a street
- Pay attention to all signage
- Use sidewalks when they are available
- Make sure you are visible to traffic, especially at night
- Never walk alone if you are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
Contact a Hit and Run Accident Lawyer in Denver, CO for Help
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact the Law Office of Richard J. Banta for help. Our legal team will make sure you get the financial compensation you may be entitled to under the law, including medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, and more. Call our office today to set up a free and confidential case evaluation with a knowledgeable hit and run accident lawyer Denver, CO hit and run victims can count on for advice.