Neonatal Injury Lawyer Denver, CO
A neonatal injury lawyer in Denver, CO, deals with premature infants. Premature infants are usually in the neonatal intensive care unit, or the NICU. Not all NICU visits are lengthy, but the more serious ones are. The intensive care unit is always changing, and new medications and surgeries are constantly being approved.
But mistakes can still happen, and in a NICU those mistakes can be fatal. If your family suffers medical errors while your child is in the NICU, reach out to a neonatal injury lawyer in Denver, CO.
Errors That Your Family May Experience in the NICU
Medication errors are the most common type of neonatal and NICU errors. Prescribing errors, typically prescription dosages, are the most common errors.
However, medication errors are not the only type of errors to happen in the neonatal intensive care unit:
- Failure to monitor the infant’s condition.
- Failure to diagnose and treat conditions, like jaundice.
- Failure to conduct or interpret tests like cord blood gas tests.
- Ventilator errors.
- Intubation errors.
- Failure to prevent or treat infection.
- Negligence charting.
- Improper identification of a child, resulting in improper treatment.
Types of Birth Injuries
Birth injuries occur during the birthing process, or after the birthing process.
- Preeclampsia: This is a pregnancy complication that is characterized by high blood pressure and damages organ systems such as the liver and kidneys.
- Placental Abruption: This is a complication where your placenta has disconnected from your uterus.
- Uterine Rupture: This is a spontaneous tearing of the uterus.
- Umbilical Cord Prolapse: This is when the umbilical cord slips through the cervix.
- Delayed Cesarean Section: This is when a c-section is delayed.
- Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy: This is when the brain doesn’t receive enough oxygen or blood.
Types of Neonatal Injuries
Neonatal injuries occur during the pregnancy. This is when birth defects typically happen.
- Improper Resuscitation at Birth: This is when your child is improperly resuscitated.
- Malpositioned Central Catheter: This is a complication of where the child’s central line goes.
- Cardiac Arrest: This is any sort of heart complication where the heart stops.
- Meningitis: This is a disease an infant can contract.
- Encephalitis: This is bulging in the soft spots of an infant’s skull and other brain swelling.
- Kernicterus/Severe Hyperbilirubinemia: This is when severe jaundice goes untreated for too long. Kernicterus is a brain damage that results from high amounts of bilirubin.
Birth injury cases are complex and seek a birth injury lawyer Denver, CO to ensure that your family is receiving the correct compensation for any medical malpractice that you endured. It may even be necessary to look into a neonatal injury lawyer in Denver, CO such as Richard J Banta, P.C.
Robert J Banta, P.C. has a steady history of dealing with birth injuries, and he can provide the experience that your family needs to navigate a potential medical malpractice lawsuit after your child is injured because of the negligence of the hospital staff.