A Respected DUI Lawyer in Denver CO Explains Field Sobriety Tests
If a police officer suspects that a person is driving drunk, they will pull that person over. Following that, the officer may order the driver to perform a series of field sobriety tests to determine if they are driving under the influence. If the driver fails a test, the officer may arrest that person even though a field test is not necessarily conclusive. As a result, without the help of a skilled DUI Lawyer in Denver CO from the Law Office of Richard J. Banta, P.C., they may be convicted unfairly. A DUI conviction can have long term devastating effects on a person’s life. Call us immediately if you were charged with a DUI and our DUI Lawyer in Denver CO can review your case at no charge. After a case review, your legal options will emerge.
The Law Office of Richard J. Banta, P.C.
Most law enforcement officers use one or more of the following standardized field sobriety tests which are deemed the most effective methods to determine whether or not someone is DUI. These include:
- Walk and Turn: The walk and turn test is used to judge a driver’s balance and if they are able to walk without staggering. The driver is told to walk in a straight line, placing heel to toe, for nine steps. They are then ordered to turn around and walk back. The driver needs to keep their arms by their side while walking and they may even be instructed to count each step aloud. The officer might claim the driver failed when in fact they did not. Your DUI Lawyer in Denver CO can review the dash cam footage if available to confirm or deny the officer’s claims.
- One Leg Stand: The one leg stand also tests a driver’s ability to balance, as well as their ability to follow directions. The driver stands with both legs together. They will then be instructed to lift one leg off of the ground, usually six inches, and to stand there. The officer will usually have the driver stand like this for approximately 30 seconds. If a driver has a physical condition that precludes their ability to pass this test, a DUI Lawyer in Denver CO can present medical documentation to prove this.
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus: This test is considered the most reliable of field sobriety tests because the driver has no control over the results. The officer will hold up a finger or a pen in front of the driver’s eyes and move it side to side, telling the driver to follow the item with their eyes. Any involuntary jerking of the eyes usually indicates that the driver has consumed alcohol. However, once again there may be medical reasons for why the driver cannot pass this test. Talk to a DUI Lawyer in Denver CO to learn more.
Contact a DUI Lawyer in Denver CO Today
If you have been arrested and charged with a DUI, you could be facing serious consequences, not only criminally but also personally. You may be facing the loss of your driver’s license, heavy fines, and possible jail time depending on your past driving history. A conviction can also affect your ability to work, as well as future job or educational opportunities.
The Law Office of Richard J. Banta, P.C.
Call Law Office of Richard J. Banta, P.C. today to find out how our DUI Lawyer in Denver CO can help you. We will work diligently to get you the best possible outcome based on the circumstances of your case. Call our office today for a free case evaluation.
If you are looking for legal representation from a DUI lawyer Denver CO residents trust, you may want to call the Law Office of Richard J. Banta, P.C. Guided by extensive experience in helping clients who have been charged with driving under the influence (DUI), we understand the importance of having these charges reduced or dropped.
Rest assured, as your Denver DUI lawyer Richard J. Banta can be ready to work tirelessly to get you the results you are looking for. If you would like to schedule a consultation with the Law Office of Richard J. Banta, P.C., please call 303-331-3415.
What Richard J. Banta Can Do for You
DUI charges can be a real headache and very complicated. Although you might have access to a public lawyer or self-representation, your best opportunity for reducing the severity of your charges lies in seeking a DUI lawyer Denver CO has to offer. Richard J. Banta can assist in easing your worries, fears, and anxieties about what might happen.
During your consultation, your attorney can explain the legal process of a DUI (or DWI) and you can learn about your rights. By hiring a DUI lawyer in Denver CO like Richard J. Banta, you can feel confident in knowing that the steps needed to mount a strong defense can be taken.
The Law Office of Richard J. Banta, P.C. can help you to understand:
- How the prosecutor charges people with a DUI;
- The investigation of DUIs, and how evidence might be used against you;
- A layman’s breakdown of the procedural laws encompassing DUIs;
- DUI defenses and their strategies;
- DUI fines, punishments, sentencing, and possible ways to reduce them; and
- How to appeal the outcome of the case.
First vs. Repeat Offenses
First time versus repeat DUI offenses can have a big impact on the overall outcome of your case. In general, if this is not your first offense, you should have a DUI lawyer Denver CO trusts on your side.
First time DUI offense – Regardless of how you choose to plead – not guilty or guilty- you could still face:
- Administrative license revocation for nine months;
- $600 to $1,000 fine;
- Up to one year in jail;
- 96 hours of community service;
- Criminal conviction, including a criminal record;
- Alcohol education program; and
- If you are under the age of 21, the penalties could be different.
- There may be an opportunity to partake in a DUI diversion program which might allow you to avoid the maximum penalties.
- However, if you fail this program, you could still face the original charges. A DUI lawyer Denver CO offers can discuss this option with you during your consultation.
Repeat DUI offense – If you are facing a second, third, fourth, or even fifth DUI, there is a significant risk of being heavily penalized. You could even be targeted like a hardened criminal. Realistically you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible.
The Law Office of Richard J. Banta, P.C.: Helping People Charged with a DUI of Alcohol or Drugs
If you are ready to have a DUI lawyer Denver CO provides build a defense against your case, please call today.